What to Expect:
The purpose of this 1-2 hour screening visit is to determine whether any of our currently enrolling studies would be a good fit for you. During this visit we will complete pulmonary function testing. Breathing tests (spirometry) will be used to measure your lung function. These tests are also used to diagnose and monitor asthma. To perform spirometry, you just take a deep breath in as instructed by the technician, and then blow out as hard and as fast as you possibly can into our machine. You may also be asked to inhale an asthma rescue medication (Albuterol) that will open up your airways, wait 15 to 30 minutes and repeat the breathing test.
You will be compensated between $25 and $50 during this screening visit. You will also be provided with a parking voucher for the BWH garage.
Forms To Bring To Your Visit:
In preparation for this visit, please print the following form (Medical History Packet) and complete it to the best of your ability prior to your screening visit. If you are unable to print the forms, please arrive 30 minutes ahead of time to fill them out.
For Detailed Directions, please visit: Asthma Research Center Directions
- NOT to have any caffeine (coffee, tea, soda, chocolate, etc.) for 8 hours prior to your appointment.
- NOT to use your rescue inhaler for 6 hours prior to your visit.
- If you feel the need to use your rescue inhaler, you can go ahead, but please call us, as we may need to reschedule the appointment.
- NOT to use medications such as Advair or Symbicort for 24 hours prior to your visit.
- Finally, please bring a photo ID so that you can receive your compensation from our BWH cashier’s office at the end of the visit.
If you have any questions please call us at 617-732-8201.